Miniature white metal medal of circular form imposed on a cross pattée with loop for ribbon suspension; the face with the head and shoulders of a soldier in peaked cap, his right arm held defensively across his chest, a sword in his hand, the arms of Tampere in the lower background, encircled by a ring with the date ‘1918’; the reverse plain with slight glue residue; diameter 15.3mm (0.6 inch); on probably replaced correct ribbon.
The medal was instituted in 1920 to be awarded to the victorious White soldiers participating in the decisive bloody battle of the Finnish Civil War at Tampere from 15 March to 6 April 1918.
Until 1917, Finland has been part of Imperial Russia but following the revolutions of that year, Finland declared independence on 6 December. Civil war broke out in late January between White and Red forces. Following the withdrawal of Russian forces from Finland under the terms of the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk in March and German forces joining the ‘White’ Finns in April, the tide turned and the war ended on 7 May.