Circular gilt bronze medal with scroll and laterally-pierced ball for ribbon suspension; the face with a full-length classically-dressed female figure representative of Ireland, a sword in her right hand, the point resting at her feet, an Irish wolfhound standing behind her, its leash in her left hand, circumscribed ‘Ré na Práinne’ (Emergency Period) in Old Gaelic script, signed ‘LAWRENCE CAMPBELL. R.H.A.’; the reverse with a laurel branch centrally, the dates ‘1939’ and 1946’ to left and right respectively, circumscribed ‘Fórsa na nÓgla? (2ú líne)’ (2nd Line Volunteer Reserve ) in Old Gaelic script above; on original ribbon with top gilt bar for wear inscribed ‘Seirbís Náisiúnta’ (National Service) in Old Gaelic script, the reverse with pin for wear and with maker’s mark ‘PQ & Co’ (for P. Quinn Ltd. of Dublin).
The Medal was instituted on 6 October 1944 to reward service during World War II, referred to in Ireland as the ‘Emergency Period’, Ireland remaining neutral but vigilant.
The medal had eleven variations of the reverse for different service units. This example is for the 2nd Line Volunteer Reserve Forces, comprising infantry, field engineers and medical units, the men and women being of mature years, who replaced the peacetime reserves when the latter were called up for full-time service in 1939.
A minimum of two years’ service was required to gain the Medal. In practice, it was not until 1947 that the medal was manufactured and distributed.