Circular silvered bronze medal with laurel wreath bar suspension; the face with, to the left, a clerk seated at a desk, a harbour scene beyond, to the right, a mechanic at a machine, factories beyond, a central pillar bearing the caduceus staff of Hermes (Mercury), inscribed ‘COMMERCE INDUSTRIE’ below; the reverse with a ground of laurel leaves, a central lateral plaque inscribed ‘SYNDICAT GÉNÉRAL DU COMMERCE ET DE L’INDUSTRIE’ (General Syndicate of Commerce and Industry), a plaque below with the attribution ‘Mle. J. SEURIN 1950’; bronze hallmark and triangular ‘AB’ maker’s mark of Arthus Bertrand & Cie. of Paris on the edge; on original ribbon; in original case of issue by Ets. Roger Welter, Paris.
The Medal was awarded for merit and for long service in the Society. The Syndicate was formed in 1889 to defend the interests of industry and commerce. Amongst its earliest activities was the organisation and encouragement of exhibitions and trade fairs. Membership was open to owners and managers of enterprises and the professions.