Silver-gilt medal with a circular medallion imposed on a rayed five-pointed star, creating a pentagonal shape, on large suspension in the form of a castellated stone wall supported on laurel branches, ‘poinçon de crabe’ silver hallmark on the suspension bar to the rear; the face with a Gallic cockerel circumscribed ‘REPUBLIQUE FRANÇAISE’ above and ‘LIBERTÉ ÉGALITÉ FRATERNITÉ’ below, signed ‘G. CROUZAT’ (for the artist Georges Crouzat, 1904-1976); the reverse with a fasces surmounted by a Phrygian bonnet, a laurel branch behind, a rectangular plaque imposed, circumscribed ‘COLLECTIVITES LOCALES’, signed ‘G. CROUZAT’ lower right; on original ribbon with rosette.
The Medal was instituted on 7 June 1945 to reward service by both employees and elected representatives of local government and replaced a number of other such medals with the aim of simplifying the system of award.
For the silver-gilt medal, 35 years of service were required.