Miniature circular silvered metal medal with loop for ribbon suspension; the face with the head of Emperor Karl facing right, inscribed ‘CAROLUS’ above, a laurel wreath below; the reverse inscribed ‘LAESO / MILITI’ (Latin = To a Wounded Soldier) and dated ‘MCMXVIII’ (1918); diameter 15.65mm (0.61 inch); without ribbon.
Emperor Karl issued instructions on 12 August 1917 that he wished a medal to be created for those wounded on active military service, regardless of rank. However, it was not until 13 July 1918 that the medal was instituted and it began to be awarded in August 1918, just two months before the defeat and collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Most full-size Medals were made of ‘Kriegsmetall’ (zinc alloy) because of material shortages and were received direct from the manufacturers after the end of the war, rather than through official channels.
This rare period miniature was most probably made in the early 1920s.