Silver-gilt and white enamel Maltese cross with ball-tipped finials, with laurel wreath between the arms, on royal crown swivel suspension; the face with a circular centrally imposed white enamel medallion bearing a red enamel cross potent formy with inset gilt-edged white enamel Latin cross within a ring decorated with gilt five-pointed stars, with gilt-edged oval white enamel medallions between the arms bearing the five escutcheons of Portugal in gilt, the arms with blue enamel panels; the reverse with a circular centrally imposed gilt-edged white enamel medallion bearing a gilt-edged red enamel cross potent formy with inset gilt-edged white enamel Latin cross within a ring decorated with gilt five-pointed stars, with gilt-edged blue enamel medallions between the arms bearing the five escutcheons of Portugal, the arms with gilt stippled panels with beaded borders; slight loss of white enamel from the right-hand side of the central ring of the reverse and from the tips of the upper left arm of the face and the lower right arm of the reverse; on replaced correct ribbon. The Order of Christ is one of the oldest orders still extant, having been instituted in 1318 by King Denis as the successor in Portugal to the Knights Templar who had been forcibly disbanded in 1312. In 1323 King Denis was successful in persuading Pope John XXII to recognise the order and grant it the property of the Knights Templar in Portugal. In 1789 the Order ceased to be religious and became secular. Following the Civil War in 1834 the order lost its assets and its privileges and became an order of merit. It was suppressed in 1910 after the fall of the monarchy but reinstated in 1918, survives and continues to be awarded to both military and civilians for outstanding public service. This example is from the Royal period and thus dates from before 15 October 1910. A comparatively rare and very attractive historic order.