Oval silver, silver-gilt and enamel order of multi-part construction, with loop for ribbon suspension; the face with a silver and white enamel cogwheel inscribed in Cyrillic characters ‘Proletárii vsex stran, sojedinjájtes!’ = Workers of the World, Unite!), a circular central silver and blue enamel medallion depicting a hydroelectric dam, a silver-gilt hammer and sickle imposed, within a circular silver-gilt oak wreath, a red enamel standard above with the gilt letters ‘CCCP’ (for Sojus Sowjetskich Sozialistitscheskich Respublik = Union of Soviet Socialist Republics), a five-pointed red enamel star at the base, silver-gilt stalks of wheat to either side; the reverse plain with maker’s mark of the Monetny Dvor (Leningrad Mint), numbered ‘1118815’; on original ribbon and pentagonal hanger mounted for wear.
The Order was instituted on 7 September 1928 as the civil equivalent of the Order of the Red Banner, to be awarded to both civilians and military for exceptional economic, production or scientific achievement or outstanding public service.
The Order was discontinued with the break-up of the U.S.S.R. and the end of Communist rule in 1991.
This superb example is of the ‘Ring Reverse’ type 6.