Circular blackened zinc alloy (‘Kriegsmetall’) medal with loop for ribbon suspension; the face with a cross pattée alisée with the Saxon rue motif between the arms, a circular central medallion bearing the cipher ‘B’ for Duke Bernhard, a crown on the upper arm, all within a circular oak wreath; the reverse with a cross pattée alisée with the Saxon rue motif between the arms, a circular central medallion bearing the Saxon arms, all within a ring, circumscribed ‘FÜR VERDIENST IM KRIEGE’ (for Merit in War) and dated ‘1914/15’; slight wear to the blackening of the central ‘B’ of the face, a small age oxidisation spot in the Saxon arms of the reverse; on replaced correct combatant’s ribbon. The Cross and Medal for Merit in War were instituted by Duke Bernhard on 7 March 1915 to be awarded for outstanding merit displayed in war (‘für im Kriege erworbene besondere Verdienste’). The Cross was awarded to officers, the medal to non-commisioned officers and other ranks. In all, just over 24,000 medals were awarded, the population of Saxe-Meiningen being less than 300,000 at the time.
A very good example.