Bronze cross pattée with concave ends to the arms, an oak wreath between the arms, with integral loop for ribbon suspension; the face with a central oval medallion with the head of Queen Wilhelmina facing left encircled by a garter inscribed ‘VOOR KRIJGSVERRIGTINGEN’ (For War Actions), each arm of the cross with the initial ‘W’; the reverse plain with maker’s mark ‘KON.-BEGEER VOORSCHOTEN’ and ‘F.S.INV.’; on original ribbon with bronze ‘KRIJG TER ZEE 1940-1945’ (Naval War 1940-195) clasp by Fa. A. Tack of Breda.
The Cross was instituted on 16 March 1944 for those who had served a minimum of 6 months after 10 May 1940 in the Dutch armed forces, merchant marine or civil air service and “had performed well and shown good conduct”.
The bar on this example was awarded for a minimum of six months’ service in an naval unit.