Large circular gilt bronze medal on laterally-pierced ball and ring for ribbon suspension; the face with a ducal coronet centrally, circumscribed ‘IM KAMPFE FUER DAS RECHT’ (In Combat for Justice); the reverse with the Saxe-Gotha and Altenburg five-petalled rose centrally within decorative circular and arched borders; the edge inscribed ‘* HERZOGTH · GOTHA · UND · ALTENBVRG · MDCCCXIV * MDCCCXV *’; diameter 42.19mm (1.66 inches); regilded; without ribbon.
The Medal was instituted in 1816 by Duke August von Sachsen-Gotha und Altenburg in different versions, for officers, as here, for non-commissioned officers and for other ranks. A reduced size version for officers was also created. It was awarded for participation n the Napoleonic Wars against France in 1814-1815 ‘als eine Auszeichnung für den, während der Feldzüge in den Jahren 1814 und 1815 von denselben bewiesenen Diensteifer und zu einen besonderen Beweis Unsere Zufriedenheit…’ (as a sign for those who during the campaigns in the years 1814 and 1815 demonstrated and proved their solicitude to our especial satisfaction).
A total of 86 Medals were struck in Paris and it is extremely rare.