Group of Four. ***Defence Medal, 1939-1945. Circular cupro-nickel medal with claw and ribbon bar suspension; the face with the head of King George VI facing left, circumscribed ‘GEORGIVS VI D : G : BR. OMN : REX F : D ; IND : IMP. (George VI by the Grace of God King of Great Britain, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India), signed ‘HP’; the reverse with a crowned oak sapling with lion supporters, wavy lines representing the sea below, dated ‘1939’ and ‘1945’ upper left and upper right respectively, inscribed below ‘THE DEFENCE MEDAL’; unattributed as issued. The medal was instituted in May 1945 to recognise non-operational service from the outbreak of war (3 September 1939) to V.E. Day (8 May 1945) in Europe and to V.J. Day (2 September 1945) overseas. The qualifying service periods were 180 days in overseas areas subject to air attack or other close enemy threat, 360 days in other overseas areas and 1,080 days in the U.K.. For mine and bomb disposal personnel overseas, the qualification period was 90 days. A number of special awards, such as those to the Malta Home Guard and to recipients of a Commendation for Brave Conduct or for Valuable Service in the Air, were also made. ***War Medal, 1939-1945. Circular cupro-nickel medal with claw and ribbon bar suspension; the face with the crowned head of King George VI facing left, circumscribed ‘GEORGIVS VI D: G: BR: OMN: REX ET INDIAE IMP:(George VI by the Grace of God King of Great Britain, Emperor of India), signed ‘PM’; the reverse with a triumphant lion standing on a prostrate dragon, dated ‘1939 1945’ above right, signed ‘E.C.R.P.’. The medal was instituted in 1945 and was awarded to all full-time members of the armed forces who had served at least 28 days between the outbreak of war (3 September 1939) and V.J. Day (2 September 1945). ***Estonian Red Cross, silver medal (Eesti Punase Risti, hõbemedal), pre-1940 issue Silvered bronze circular medal with loop and ring for ribbon suspension; the face with a red enamel Geneva (Greek) cross; the reverse inscribed ‘EESTI PUNANE RIST’ (Estonian Red Cross). The Estonian Society of the Red Cross was established on 18 January 1919 by the bringing together of those organisations already engaged in relevant work tending to the sick, wounded, prisoners of war and refugees and acceded to the International Red Cross on 25 February 1922. The Commemorative Decoration of the Estonian Red Cross was established on 6 August 1920 in a single class in the form of a silver medal. In 1925, the Decoration was reorganised into five classes and the silver medal became the 3rd class award. In 1936, the decoration was adopted by the Estonian government with five classes and three medals. No medals were issued after the Soviet invasion of 1940 until Estonia regained its independence in 1991. This example is from the first period of Estonian independence, 1920 to 1940. ***Lithuanian Red Cross (Lietuvos Raudonojo Kryžiaus) Award, attributed in 1922. Silver award of bar-shaped form; the face with the gilt initials ‘LRK’ (for Lietuvos Raudonojo Kryžiaus = Lithuanian Red Cross) centrally, a circular red enamel medallion to the eft bearing the figure of Vytis, a circular white enamel medallion to the right bearing a red enamel Geneva (Greek) cross, with scrolled ends and floreate decoration to either end and above and below; the reverse plain with maker’s mark ‘IG’ and silver hallmarks, engraved ‘Atminčiai / 1922 111’. (Atminčiai = in Remembrance)’. The Lithuanian Red Cross was founded in 1919, suppressed after the Soviet invasion of 1940 and re-established after the break-up of the Soviet Union in 1990. Its awards are rarely found. ***The medals are bar-mounted for wear (the Defence Medal should be to the left of the War Medal) and on original ribbons. A rare and unusual group.