Circular silvered bronze medal with loop and ring for ribbon suspension; the face with a red enamel Geneva (Greek) cross centrally; the reverse inscribed ‘EESTI PUNANE RIST’ (Estonian Red Cross); some age discolouration which we have not attempted to clean; on replaced correct display ribbon.
The Estonian Society of the Red Cross was established on 18 January 1919 by the bringing together of those organisations already engaged in relevant work tending to the sick, wounded, prisoners of war and refugees and acceded to the International Red Cross on 25 February 1922.
The Commemorative Decoration of the Estonian Red Cross was established on 6 August 1920 in a single class in the form of a silver medal. In 1925, the Decoration was reorganised into five classes and the silver medal became the 3rd class award. In 1936, the decoration was adopted by the Estonian government with five classes and three medals. No medals were issued after the Soviet invasion of 1940 until Estonia regained its independence in 1991.
This example is from the first period of Estonian independence, 1920 to 1940. Only a few hundred medals were issued, almost exclusively to Estonian citizens, and it is rare.