Miniature white metal cross pattée with eyelet and original loop for ribbon suspension; the face with the arms blackened within silvered borders, an upright sword imposed bearing a blue enamel shield on which is the ‘S’ of the Suojeluskunta with three spruce branches at the top; the reverse plain; diameter 16.89mm (0.66inch); on original ribbon.
The Cross was issued in one class in gold, silver and iron, depending on the merit of the recipient, for service and sacrifice.
The Finnish Civil Guard was formed in response to the breakdown of order following the Russian revolutions of 1917. It was a patriotic paramilitary organisation that had a somewhat chequered history but played a vital role in the defence of Finland’s independence until disbanded at the insistence of the Soviet Union in 1944.
An excellent history of the Civil Guard may be found at www.mosinnagant.net/finland/TheCivilGuardOfFinland.asp