World War II Pair comprising:
Commemorative Medal for the War of 1940-1941, Land Operations. Circular dark bronze medal with laterally pierced loop for ribbon suspension; the face with the crowned head in relief of King George II facing left within a circular laurel wreath; the reverse inscribed 1940-41 Epirus, Albania, Macedonia, Thrace, Crete).
The medal was instituted on 2 March 1946 and awarded to members of the Royal Hellenic Armed Forces who had seen action in the campaigns listed on the reverse of the medal.
Hellenic Red Cross Medal, 1940-1941 with citation on the ribbon. Circular bronze medal on laterally pierced cylinder suspension; the face with a red enamel Geneva cross on a green enamel laurel wreath and circumscribed Hellenic Red Cross; the reverse dated ‘1940-1941’; all enamel intact; on original ribbon.
The medal was conferred on both men and women for conspicuous service to the Hellenic Red Cross and affiliated societies during the years 1940-1941.
Greece was a signatory to the First Geneva Convention in January 1865 and the Hellenic Red Cross Society was founded on 10 June 1877 with the active support and encouragement of Queen Olga of Greece. It was recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross on 6 October 1877 and has been active ever since, particularly in times of natural disaster and war, such as that following the Italian and German invasions of 1940-1941.
The Pair are on original ribbons and mounted for wear