Miniature oval silvered metal medal on ornate fixed suspension of two laurel leaves with ‘TERRITORIAL’ bar; the face with the crowned head and shoulders of King George VI facing left, circumscribed ‘GEORGIVS•VI•D•G•BR•OMN•REX•ET•INDIÆ•IMP•’ (George VI by the Grace of God King of Great Britain and Emperor of India); the reverse inscribed ‘FOR / EFFICIENT / SERVICE’; height overall 30.31mm (1.2 inches), diameter 16.12mm (0.63 inch); on replaced correct ribbon.
The Medal was instituted on 17 October 1930 to simplify the existing awards, replacing the Territorial Efficiency Medal, the Militia Long Service and Good Conduct Medal and the equivalent awards issued by Commonwealth countries to other ranks in the volunteer forces.
It was awarded for 12 years’ continuous efficient service (wartime service and also peacetime service in West Africa counting double).
The first version bore the head of King George V and this was replaced by that of King George VI in 1937. In 1948, following the granting of independence to India, the circumscription on the face was changed and a second George VI type issued.