White enamel and silver Geneva cross with laurel wreath between the arms, with laterally-pierced ball for ribbon suspension; the face with a central red enamel Geneva cross; the reverse inscribed ‘DANSK RØDE KORS’ (Danish Red Cross) and dated ‘1939-45’; on original ribbon mounted for wear; in original fitted pasteboard case of issue by Anton Michelsen of Copenhagen.
The Medal was instituted by the Danish Red Cross and approved by King Christian X on 1 February 1946 to be awarded to those who had made a significant effort in the relief of the Danish population from the effects of German occupation during World War II.
Anton Michelsen (1809–1877) founded the company that bore his name and was made Royal Court and Order Jeweller by King Christian VIII (reigned 1839-1848) and was responsible for making the insignia of all Danish orders. The company remained in family hands until it was taken over by Georg Jensen A/S in 1985.
The Cross is rare.