Circular silvered metal medal with integral eyelet for ribbon suspension; the face with a rear view of a column of marching partisans, a red enamel star above; the reverse circumscribed above ‘POHO XIV DIV. NA STAJERSKO’ (March of the 14th Division to Styria), dated ‘6.1 -26 II 1944’ below, with maker’s mark of Jerasa of Ljubljana; on original ribbon mounted for wear.
The 14th Division of the National Liberation Army of Yugoslavia was a Slovenian unit created in summer 1943. At the end of that year, the Division was ordered to march to Stajerska (Styria), in northern Slovenia the border with Austria, an area of hard winters and thick snow. Only the strongest volunteers were sent on the march – some 1,100 men. By the end of February, only some 440 combatants were still active and these were successfully resupplied by air to continue the struggle.