World War II and Later Miniature Pair.
Defence Medal 1939-1945. Miniature circular cupro-nickel medal with claw and ribbon bar suspension; the face with the head of King George VI facing left, circumscribed ‘GEORGIVS VI D : G : BR. OMN : REX F : D : IND : IMP’ (George VI by the Grace of God King of Great Britain, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India); the reverse with a crowned oak sapling with lion supporters, wavy lines representing the sea below, dated ‘1939’ and ‘1945’ upper left and upper right respectively, inscribed below ‘THE DEFENCE / MEDAL’; diameter 18.22mm (0.72 inch).
The Medal was instituted in May 1945 to recognise non-operational service from the outbreak of war (3 September 1939) to V.E. Day (8 May 1945) in Europe and to V.J. Day (2 September 1945) overseas. The qualifying service periods were 180 days in overseas areas subject to air attack or other close enemy threat, 360 days in other overseas areas and 1,080 days in the U.K.. For mine and bomb disposal personnel overseas, the qualification period was 90 days. A number of special awards, such as those to the Malta Home Guard and to recipients of a Commendation for Brave Conduct or for Valuable Service in the Air, were also made.
Imperial Service Medal, Elizabeth II 1955 onwards issue. Miniature circular silver medal with scroll and laterally-pierced ball suspension; the face with the crowned head and shoulders of Queen Elizabeth II facing right, circumscribed ‘ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA F.D.’ (Elizabeth II by the Grace of God Queen, Defender of the Faith; the reverse with a labourer resting from his toils, seated on a stone bench, the radiant sun rising over a landscape beyond, inscribed ‘FOR FAITHFUL SERVICE’ below; diameter 18.28mm (0.72 inch).
The Medal was instituted in August 1902 to recognise long and meritorious service by administrative and clerical Civil Service staff throughout the Empire and was awarded to staff who had completed at least 25 years’ service on retirement. This example dates from after the change of wording on the face in 1954.
The Pair is on original ribbons and bar-mounted for wear