Silver cross clechée with laurel leaves between the arms, imposed on crossed swords and on a rayed, faceted eight-point star; the face with an imposed circular central medallion in red, white and blue enamel and gilt metal bearing an escutcheon quarterly of Castile and Léon with Granada overall within a blue enamel ring inscribed in gilt letters ‘AL MERITO EN CAMPAÑA’ (for Merit in the Field), the cross clechée bearing a crown on the upper arm, the tower of Castile on the lower arm and the lion of Léon on the lateral arms; the reverse plain with pin and prongs for wear; diameter 60mm (2.36 inches).
The War Cross was instituted on 26 January 1937 and amended in 1942. It was a direct descendant of the Military Order of María Cristina created for the Queen Regent in 1890 and intended to reward military bravery.
The second class cross in silver was awarded to high-ranking field officers (jefes).
This is an older example of good quality, possibly from the period 1942 to 1943 for service with German forces in Soviet Russia.