Circular bronze medal with scroll and laterally-pierced ball for ribbon suspension; the face with a full-length classically-dressed female figure representative of Ireland, a sword in her right hand, the point resting at her feet, an Irish wolfhound standing behind her, its leash in her left hand, circumscribed ‘Ré na Práinne’ (Emergency Period) in Old Gaelic script, signed ‘LAWRENCE CAMPBELL. R.H.A’; the reverse with a laurel branch centrally, the dates ‘1939’ and 1946’ to left and right respectively, circumscribed ‘An Fórsa Cosanta Áitiúla’ (Local Defence Force) in Old Gaelic script above; on replaced correct ribbon with ‘1939 - 1946’ clasp and with bronze top bar inscribed ‘Seirbís Náisiúnta’ (National Service) in Old Gaelic script, mounted with pin for wear.
The Medal was instituted on 6 October 1944 to reward service during World War II, referred to in Ireland as the ‘Emergency Period’, Ireland remaining neutral but vigilant.
The medal had eleven variations of the reverse for different service units.
This example is for the Local Defence Force for a minimum of two years’ service and the ‘1939 - 1946’ clasp was awarded for an additional two years’ service. This example was therefore awarded for four years’ service.
In practice, it was not until 1947 that the medal was manufactured and distributed.
The Medal is not often found.