Circular bronze medal with eyelet for ribbon suspension; the face with the head of a Bersaglieri facing left, inscribed ‘SAVOIA!’ to the left, signed below ‘P. MORBIDUCCI’ (for the sculptor and medallist Publio Morbiducci, 1889-1963); the reverse with a view of the Two Towers of Bologna, inscribed to the left ‘28-29 / GIUGNIO / 1931.IX’, inscribed to the right ‘BOLO / GNA’, circumscribed ‘ADUNATA NAZLE BERSAGLIERI’, maker’s mark ‘SJ’ lower right for Stefano Johnson of Milan; on replaced correct ribbon.
The Medal was produced to mark the eighth National Meeting of the Bersaglieri in Bologna on 28-29 June 1931.
The Bersaglieri (sharpshooters) were highly mobile light infantry, created by General Alessandro La Marmora on 18 June 1836 as part of the Royal Sardinian Army which later became the Royal Italian Army. They are instantly recognisable by their wide-brimmed hats decorated with black capercaillie feathers.