Miniature Group of Seven.
The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Officer (O.B.E.), Civil, 2nd type, since 1935 issue. Miniature silver-gilt cross patonce on Tudor crown suspension; the face with a circular central medallion imposed with the crowned head and shoulders portraits of King George V and Queen Mary facing left within a ring inscribed ‘FOR GOD AND THE EMPIRE’; the reverse with a circular central medallion with the crowned cipher of King and Emperor George V within a rope border; diameter 22.95mm (0.90 inch).
The Order was instituted by King George V on 4 June 1917 in five grades to acknowledge the service of non-combatants during wartime. In 1918 the Order was divided into Civil and Military divisions. This example is of the second type; prior to 1935, the Order has Britannia rather than King George V and Queen Mary on the face. Today the Order is awarded for distinguished service in any sphere of activity and honorary awards may be made to foreigners.
Military Cross. Miniature silver Greek cross with out-turned tips to the arms, with eyelet, ribbon ring and straight suspension bar; the face with a faceted Green cross imposed centrally bearing the cipher ‘GRI’ (George King and Emperor) of King George V, an Imperial crown at the end of each arm; the reverse plain; diameter 23.16mm (0.91 inch).
The Cross was instituted on 31 December 1914 to recognise acts of bravery by junior officers that did not merit the Victoria Cross or the Distinguished Service Order.
British War Medal, 1914-1920. Miniature circular silver medal with claw and swivel ribbon bar suspension; the face with the head of King George V facing left, circumscribed ‘GEORGIVS V BRITT: OMN: REX ET IND : IMP:’ (George V King of Great Britain and Emperor of India); the reverse with St. George on horseback, reins in his left hand, a sword in his right, trampling a shield bearing an eagle with wings outstretched and a skull and crossbones, wavy lines denoting the sea beyond, a radiant rising sun upper right, dated ‘1914’ and ‘1918’ upper left and right respectively; diameter 17.93m (0.7 inch).
The medal was instituted in 1919 and awarded to members of the British and Imperial forces who had served between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. Officers and men of the Royal Navy, the Royal Marines, and Dominion and Colonial naval forces were required to have completed 28 days mobilised service, though this was waived if active service had been terminated by death. The award criteria were subsequently extended to include post-war mine-clearing at sea and service in operations in Russia in 1919-20.
Inter-Allied Victory Medal, Great Britain and British Empire issue, 1914-1919. Miniature circular bronze medal on laterally pierced ball suspension; the face with a winged figure of Victory; the reverse inscribed ‘THE GREAT WAR FOR CIVILISATION 1914-1919’ within a circular laurel wreath; diameter 17.97mm (0.71 inch).
The idea of an inter-allied medal to commemorate victory in what was termed ‘The Great War for Civilisation’ is credited to the French Field-Marshal Foch. It was agreed that each of the Allies should issue a medal to their nationals featuring a figure representing ‘Victory’ on the front and have a symmetric double rainbow ribbon with red, the colour of courage and sacrifice at the centre, representing the colours of the allies flags and presenting an allegory of calm after storm. The British medal was instituted on 1 September 1919 to be awarded to all those who served in a theatre of operations between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918. It was awarded also to all British Empire military, except those of South Africa, whose government issued their own variant. Additionally, it was awarded to those British servicemen active in the Hejaz and Aden after the end of the European war, for post-war mine clearance operations and for the Royal Navy mission to Russia, hence the latter date of 1919.
Defence Medal, 1939-1945. Miniature circular cupro-nickel medal with claw and ribbon bar suspension; the face with the head of King George VI facing left, circumscribed ‘GEORGIVS VI D : G : BR. OMN : REX F : D ; IND : IMP. (George VI by the Grace of God King of Great Britain, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India); the reverse with a crowned oak sapling with lion supporters, wavy lines representing the sea below, dated ‘1939’ and ‘1945’ upper left and upper right respectively, inscribed below ‘THE DEFENCE MEDAL’; diameter 18.51mm (0.73 inch).
The medal was instituted in May 1945 to recognise non-operational service from the outbreak of war (3 September 1939) to V.E. Day (8 May 1945) in Europe and to V.J. Day (2 September 1945) overseas. The qualifying service periods were 180 days in overseas areas subject to air attack or other close enemy threat, 360 days in other overseas areas and 1,080 days in the U.K.. For mine and bomb disposal personnel overseas, the qualification period was 90 days. A number of special awards, such as those to the Malta Home Guard and to recipients of a Commendation for Brave Conduct or for Valuable Service in the Air, were also made.
Coronation Medal 1937. Miniature circular silver medal on ornate scroll and laterally-pierced ball suspension; the face with the head and shoulders portraits of King George VI and, beyond, Queen Elizabeth, both facing left, crowned and in coronation robes; the reverse with the crowned cipher of King and Emperor George VI centrally above the inscription ‘CROWNED / 12 MAY 1937’, circumscribed ‘GEORGE VI QUEEN ELIZABETH’; diameter 18.02mm (0.71 inch); age-toned.
The medal was issued to mark the coronation of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth on 12 May 1937 and was the personal gift of the sovereign to members and servants of the Royal Household and to members of the armed forces, governments and elected holders of office throughout the Empire and Dominions.
Coronation Medal 1953. Miniature circular silver medal with scroll and laterally-pierced ball suspension; the face with the head and shoulders portrait of Queen Elizabeth II in robes of state with the collar of the Order of the Garter and the badge of the Order of the Bath, wearing a Tudor crown, facing right; the reverse with the crowned cipher of Queen Elizabeth II circumscribed ‘QUEEN ELIZABETH • II • CROWNED 2ND JUNE 1953’; diameter 18.04mm (0.71 inch); age-toned.
The medal was instituted on 30 April 1953 to be awarded in June 1953 to eminent persons, members of the government, armed forces, police and public servants to mark the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.
The group is mounted on original ribbons and original bar with pin for wear.