Miniature silvered medal with oak leaf and acorn and ribbon bar suspension; the face with the seated figure of Britannia, an upright trident in her right hand, her left arm resting on a shield bearing the union flag, a radiant sun above right, circumscribed ‘FOR GOD AND THE EMPIRE’, inscribed below ‘GALLANTRY’; the reverse with the crowned cipher of King and Emperor George VI, two lions around the edge to each side, inscribed below ‘INSTITUTED BY / KING GEORGE V’; diameter 18.26mm (0.72 inch); on post-1937 military ribbon.
The Medal was instituted on 29 December 1922 to be awarded for specific acts of gallantry. It was abolished with the institution of the George Cross in September 1940 and holders were asked to return and exchange their medals. Only 130 full-size medals were ever awarded.
The Medal is usually known as the ‘Empire Gallantry Medal’.
This example appears to be of relatively recent manufacture.