World War II Royal Air Force M.B.E. court-mounted miniature group of seven.
The Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Member (M.B.E.), Military, 2nd type, since 1935 issue. Miniature cupro-nickel cross patonce on Tudor crown suspension; the face with a circular central medallion imposed with the crowned head and shoulders portraits of King George V and Queen Mary facing left within a ring inscribed ‘FOR GOD AND THE EMPIRE’; the reverse with a circular central medallion with the crowned cipher of King and Emperor George V within a rope border; height 32.09mm (1.26 inches), width 22.13cm (0.86 inch).
The Order was instituted by King George V on 4 June 1917 in five grades to acknowledge the service of non-combatants during wartime. In 1918 the Order was divided into Civil and Military divisions. This example is of the second type; prior to 1935, the Order has Britannia rather than King George V and Queen Mary on the face. Today the Order is awarded for distinguished service in any sphere of activity and honorary awards may be made to foreigners.
Africa Star, 1940-1943. Miniature gilt six-pointed faceted star with lateral loop for ribbon suspension; the face with the crowned cipher of King and Emperor George VI centrally within a stippled ring inscribed ‘THE AFRICA STAR’; the reverse plain; width 18.03mm (0.71 inch).
The Star was instituted in 1943 to be awarded for operational service between the Italian declaration of war (10 June 1940) and the end of operations in North Africa (12 May 1943) on land in North Africa from the Straits of Gibraltar to the Suez Canal and on Malta; also on land in Ethiopia, Somaliland, Eritrea, Sudan and Kenya (up to 27 November 1941) and in the Syrian Campaign from 8 June 1941 to 11 July 1941 at sea in the Mediterranean or in support of operations in East Africa or the Morocco landings; in the air for active operations in the above areas.
Defence Medal, 1939-1945. Miniature circular cupro-nickel medal with scroll and ribbon bar suspension; the face with the head of King George VI facing left, circumscribed ‘GEORGIVS VI D : G : BR. OMN : REX F : D ; IND : IMP. (George VI by the Grace of God King of Great Britain, Defender of the Faith, Emperor of India); the reverse with a crowned oak sapling with lion supporters, wavy lines representing the sea below, dated ‘1939’ and ‘1945’ upper left and upper right respectively, inscribed below ‘THE DEFENCE MEDAL’; diameter 18.67mm (0.73 inch).
The medal was instituted in May 1945 to recognise non-operational service from the outbreak of war (3 September 1939) to V.E. Day (8 May 1945) in Europe and to V.J. Day (2 September 1945) overseas. The qualifying service periods were 180 days in overseas areas subject to air attack or other close enemy threat, 360 days in other overseas areas and 1,080 days in the U.K.. For mine and bomb disposal personnel overseas, the qualification period was 90 days. A number of special awards, such as those to the Malta Home Guard and to recipients of a Commendation for Brave Conduct or for Valuable Service in the Air, were also made.
Canadian Voluntary Service Medal, 1939-1945, with maple leaf overseas clasp. Miniature circular silver medal with loop and ribbon bar suspension; the face with seven full-length figures marching in step, representing the land, sea, air and nursing services of Canada, circumscribed ‘1939 CANADA 1945 VOLUNTARY SERVICE VOLONTAIRE’, a maple leaf either side of the word ‘SERVICE’, the initials ‘CFC’ under that to the left and ‘TS’ under that to the right; the reverse with the arms of Canada; with maple leaf clasp denoting service overseas.
The medal was instituted on 22 October 1943 and was awarded for 18 months’ voluntary service in the Canadian forces between 3 September 1939 and 1 March 1947.
War Medal, 1939-1945. Miniature circular cupro-nickel medal with scroll and ribbon bar suspension; the face with the crowned head of King George VI facing left, circumscribed ‘GEORGIVS VI D : G : BR : OMN : REX INDIAE : IMP: (George VI by the Grace of God King of Great Britain, Emperor of India); the reverse with a triumphant lion standing on a prostrate dragon, dated ‘1939 1945’ above right; diameter 18.71mm (0.73 inch).
The medal was instituted in 1945 and was awarded to all full-time members of the armed forces who had served at least 28 days between the outbreak of war (3 September 1939) and V.J. Day (2 September 1945).
Coronation Medal 1953. Miniature circular silvered medal with scroll and laterally-pierced ball suspension; the face with the head and shoulders portrait of Queen Elizabeth II in robes of state with the collar of the Order of the Garter and the badge of the Order of the Bath, wearing a Tudor crown, facing right; the reverse with the crowned cipher of Queen Elizabeth II circumscribed ‘QUEEN ELIZABETH • II • CROWNED 2ND JUNE 1953’; diameter 18.05mm (0.71 inch).
The medal was instituted on 30 April 1953 to be awarded in June 1953 to eminent persons, members of the government, armed forces, police and public servants to mark the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. In all, 129,051 medals were awarded.
Royal Air Force Long Service and Good Conduct Medal, George VI 1937-1948 issue. Miniature circular cupro-nickel medal on claw and elaborate scroll suspension; the face with the head of King George VI facing left, circumscribed ‘GEORGIVS VI D: G: BR: OMN: REX F: D: IND: IMP. (George VI by the Grace of God King of Great Britain Defender of the Faith Emperor of India); the reverse with the insignia of the Royal Air Force, being an eagle with outstretched wings, a Tudor crown above, circumscribed ‘FOR LONG SERVICE AND GOOD CONDUCT’; diameter 18.2mm (0.71 inch).
The medal was instituted on 1 July 1919 and awarded for 18 years’ exemplary service. This example dates from after the accession of King George VI in 1937 but before the 1948 change of wording following the independence of India.
The group is court mounted on correct ribbons with pin for wear.