Miniature skeletal oval silver-gilt badge in the form of an oak wreath bearing the Tudor-crowned cipher ‘GVRI’ (George V King Emperor) centrally; the reverse plain; with loop for ribbon suspension; height 23.3mm (0.92 inch); on original ribbon with oak leaf decorated top bar.
The Decoration was instituted on 29 September 1908 and replaced the Volunteer Officers Decoration which had been awarded since 1892 It was awarded for 20 years’ commissioned service, time in the ranks counting half and service in wartime counting double.
The first version bore the insignia of King Edward VII and was replaced by that of King George V in 1910. In 1930, it was replaced by the Efficiency Decoration.
A total of 4,198 full-size awards were made.