Bronze cross pattée with laterally-pierced loop for ribbon suspension; the face with an upright sword on which is imposed a circular central medallion with the head of a soldier facing left wearing a laurel-crowned helmet within a ring inscribed ‘REPUBLIQUE FRANCAISE’, the arms of the cross decorated with laurel and oak leaves; the reverse with a central circular medallion decorated with laurel leaves within a ring inscribed ‘COMBATTANT VOLONTAIRE’ and dated ‘1939-1945’, the arms of the cross decorated with laurel and oak leaves; on original ribbon.
The Cross was originally established on 4 July 1935 to reward French and foreign volunteers who served at the front during the Great War. At the request of the Associations of Veterans, the French State created the Croix du Combattant Volontaire 1939-1945 by Act of 4 February 1953, accompanied by a decree of 19 November 1955. It was designated for those who volunteered to serve in the Second World War.
The 1939-1945 version is much rare than that for the Great War and the Large Head version rarer still.